The Stiltner Family Genealogy
Elijah Stiltner Familiy in Virginia
An excerpt from "The Cascade Mountain Clan" by
Woodrow R. Clevinger, 1971 -
Elijah Stiltner is the Virginia ancestor of a large set of
Stiltners now living in Washington and Oregon, One of the elder sons of
Frederick Charles Stiltner, he was born in Tazewell County, Virginia, October
22, 1818. He was united with Union Church of Primitive (Old Regular) Baptists.
In 1837 he married Lettie Zettie (Celetty) Elswick and the raised a family of
seven children in the Cumberland Mountains of Virginia in the area of present
Buchanan County. Elijah died in Virginia, March 15, 1900, just at the time one
of his sons, Milburn Jackson Stiltner had filed his homestead far out west at
To the union of Elijah Stiltner and Celetty Elswick were born
the following, the vital data being recorded in the Primitive Baptist Churches
of Buchanan County.
- John H. Stiltner, b 1838, d 1923. United in Primitive Baptist Church, md
cousin Melvina Stiltner, raised family in Virginia.
- Wesley Stiltner, b 1840, d 1915, baptized in Sand Lick, Virginia, Primitive
Baptist Church, md (1) Rachel Carter, md (2) Martha Oquinn.
- Sallie Stiltner, b 1842, d 1912, baptized in Sand Lick, Virginia, Primitive
Baptist Church, md Elihu Owens, raised family in Virginia.
- Milburn Jackson Stiltner, b 1847, Buchanan County, md Sarah C. Wood, moved
westward to Oklahoma and then Glenoma, Washington with family in 1888 - 1900.
Died 1919 Lewis County, Washington, large pioneer family in Lewis County.
- Jacob Stiltner, b 1850, d 1931 in Buchanan County, Virginia. Baptized in
Bull Creek, Primitive Baptist Church, Virginia. Married (1) Susan Breeding, md
(2) Ellie Stergeon.
- Martha Stiltner, b 1856, d 1933 in Virginia. Baptized in Bull Creek, Primitive
Baptist Church, Virginia. Married (1) George Wilson, md (2) Isaac Cantrell.
- Three of Elijah Stiltner's children died in youth. They were daughters Celia,
1854 - 1862, Polly, 1858, and son Frederick, 1854.
Subsequent pages coming, real soon ...
Return to the Genealogy Home
The Universe is An Affirmative Communication Process!
Statement of Policy -
This web site and the information in it, is brought to you in the spirit of
freedom of information and as a public service in support of the Stiltner
URL of this page:
Copyright ©2000, 2002 E. Stiltner.