If God Were A Programmer
Some important theological questions are answered if we think of God as a
- Q: Does God control everything that happens in my life?
- A: He could, if he used the debugger, but it's tedious to step through all
- Q: Why does God allow evil to happen?
- A: God thought he eliminated evil in one of the earlier revs.
- Q: Does God know everything?
- A: He likes to think so, but he is often amazed to find out what goes on in
the overnight job.
- Q: What causes God to intervene in earthly affairs?
- A: If a critical error occurs, the system pages him automatically and he
logs on from home to try to bring it up. Otherwise things can wait until
- Q: Did God really create the world in seven days?
- A: He did it in six days and nights while living on cola and candy bars.
On the seventh day he went home and found out his girlfriend had left him.
- Q: How come the Age of Miracles Ended?
- A: That was the development phase of the project, now we are in the
- Q: Will there be another Universe after the Big Bang?
- A: A lot of people are drawing things on the white board, but doubt that it
will ever be implemented.
- Q: Who is Satan?
- A: Satan is an MIS director who takes credit for more powers than he
actually possesses, so people who aren't programmers are scared of him. God
thinks of him as irritating but irrelevant.
- Q: What is the role of sinners?
- A: Sinners are the people who find new and imaginative ways to mess up the
system when God has made it idiot-proof.
- Q: Where will I go after I die?
- A: Onto a backup tape.
- Q: Will I be reincarnated?
- A: Not unless there is a special need to recreate you. And searching
backup files is a major hassle, so if there is a request for you, God will
just say that the tape has been lost.
- Q: Am I unique and special in the universe?
- A: There are over 10,000 major university and corporate sites running
exact duplicates of you in the present release version.
- Q: What is the purpose of the universe?
- A: God created it because he values elegance and simplicity, but then the
users and managers demanded he tack senseless features onto it and now
everything is more complicated and expensive than ever.
- Q: If I pray to God, will he listen?
- A: You can waste his time telling him what to do, or you can just get off
his back and let him program.
- Q: What is the one true religion?
- A: All systems have their advantages and disadvantages, so just pick the
one that best suits your needs and don't let anyone put you down.
- Q: How can I protect myself from evil?
- A: Change your password every month and don't make it a name, a common
word, or a date like your birthday.
- Q: Some people claim they hear the voice of God. Is this true?
- A: They are much more likely to receive e-mail.
- Q: Some people say God is Love.
- A: That is not a question. Please restate your query in the form of a
Return to Spiritual Humor Introduction Page
- Copyright ©1996, 2000 SCCS.